Monday, October 1, 2012

Speech/Language RTI Strategies for Common Core Standards

My school holds RTI meetings once a month as an avenue for teachers to come and get strategies and discuss student progress.  Our first meeting is shortly approaching and I have been working hard to prepare differently this year.  The classroom teachers in my building have been working hard to make sure they are targeting the common core standards along with their already complex curriculum.  Many have approached me and shared that they see more students struggling because they have yet to master earlier standards but are expected to handle the standards of their grade level.

With this in mind, I have used the common core website, and a reference book I recommend TO ALL, the Pre-Referral Intervention Manual Third Edition to prepare strategies for the common core standards that relate to speech and language.  If you do not have this book, check the office of your director of special ed!  Many have them and are willing to let you borrow it (I borrowed mine and made copies of the speech and language related pages).

I made a packet (64 pages long) for grades K-6 and for each standard or group of standards, I went through this book and took strategies plus added many of my own.  I only used the standards for Speaking/Listening and Language.  I decided to make each page ready to go for classroom teachers (Tier 1 or 2) or for my own use (Tier 3) with instructions and a chart to complete. 
As you can see above, I tried to make it easy for all involved!  Teachers hate extra work!  I numbered the strategies so that all they have to do is write the number of the strategy they are using.  I only included 3-5 strategies to make it easy to decide which one to start with.  I incorporated a box for pre-testeing and post-testing for data collection to assess progress monitoring.  I also indicated for teachers that they do not necessarily need to use tests, they can just question the student or monitor behavior.

Easy to use:  I included instructions and ideas for use in the packet.  Since 64 pages is A LOT, and I wanted to make it easy to navigate, there is a table of contents to easily find the pages you need!

How do I plan on using this?  I plan on bringing this packet to my RTI meetings.  We always get the information on the students ahead of the meetings so I can prepare which pages to bring and present to the teachers.  These charts will be included in the students' RTI packets which will help determine plans for the future. 

I know I am looking forward to trying something new this year and collect more efficient data.  This packet is available at my TpT store!

I would love feedback!!!  Feel free to comment or email me at speechtimefun@gmail.com.  This project took A LONG TIME to put together!  I am proud of it and hope many can find it useful. 

If this packet seems helpful for many, I will try and put one together for middle/high school.  I do not currently work with that level but you never know what the future holds!  Feel free to let me know if you are interested in that age level.

No comments:

Post a Comment