Sunday, November 11, 2012

Project Relief

I was contacted by a fellow SLP working in a local school district on Long Island.  Her district is starting a collection for school supplies to help out students effected by Hurricane Sandy.  Many students either had their supplies ruined by flooding/fires or they are now displaced and need to start in a new school district with nothing to use.  I think this is a great thing they are doing since many of my students are displaced as well.
Whether or not you live in NY, many schools/organizations are trying to help.  Spread the word about this collection.  If your district is on this list, spread the word that your students can get assistance!  You can access their flyer here.  I plan on posting a copy in my faculty room. 
There are so many collection sites it is hard to keep up.  Other locations I know about include:
  • Long Beach Arena
  • Oceanside JCC
  • Freeport Rec Center
  • Brookside School, Bellmore-Merrick

I know there are numerous Red Cross stations in effected neighborhoods:
  • Seaford (Cedar Crest Park)
  • Freeport (Rec Center)
  • Merrick (at a local temple)
  • Long Beach (Nickerson Beach Park)
  • Roslyn (Christopher Marley Park)
  • Riverhead (Riverhead City Center)
  • Hauppauge (H.L. Dennison)
  • Mastic (Mastic Fire House)
If you know of other collection sites and/or Red Cross stations, let me know and I will add it to the list!  Just wanted to help spread the word to local SLPs that may know families in need.  The least I can do to help spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment